Beech Parish Council has been approached by a number of residents regarding problems they are suffering due to abnormally high water pressure supplied to their property.
South East Water supply fresh water to Beech using a pumping station at Wyards Farm next to the Basingstoke Road. The water there has to be pumped to a high pressure so that it can travel up Kings Hill to Medstead, (an approximate extra elevation of 100m) and still provide a useable flow to properties at the top of the hill and beyond.
CHART SHOWING GROUND ELEVATION IN AND AROUND BEECH
As a result properties at the bottom of the hill receive their water at a pressure that is well above the norm and this can cause problems both to the water main itself and to the domestic supply system.
When these problems occur their ownership (and cost of repair) is made very clear on the SE Water diagram below:
Following a public meeting in September 2023 the Parish Council has formed a small working group to understand how widespread the problem of high water pressure is, and determine how best to take this forward. To this end, we will:
- Undertake a survey:
- A paper questionaire will be distributed throughout the Parish to gather data.
- The survey is also available online at: www.beechpc.com/water-pressure-survey/
- PLEASE COMPLETE THE QUESTIONNAIRE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND BY 1st DECEMBER 2023 AT THE LATEST.
- Provide a summary of the results on our webpage in the early New Year
- Carry out a review of the water industry standards and specifications for domestic water supply and equipment.
PLEASE NOTE: Any recommendations that may be proposed will be designed to eliminate the problems arising from the abnormally high pressure in the affected parts of the village WITHOUT impacting the currently acceptable water pressure and flow in other parts.